Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Speech

Jacks just started speech a couple of weeks ago.  He qualified for speech through Nebo School District and he's been going to an elementary school near our house.  He qualified for either a 30 minute one-on-one session with a speech therapist or a one hour TLC class with other kids and their parents.  We decided to try the TCL class and so far it's going really well.  Jackson really loves it.  He's been to 2 classes so far and he had so much fun.

I've been really impressed with his class so far, he has 2 really good teachers.  In the last 2 classes they've just read a book and just focused on different sounds, then the kids got to act out the story and repeat things.  The kids then got to make something to practice at home while the teachers met with the kids one on one and worked on certain letter sounds they struggle with.  I've been working with Jacks and doing his little activities at home with him and I've noticed a difference already.  He's been doing better when we practice I haven't noticed it in his regular speech yet but that will take some time.  I really hope that it helps a lot.

I've been really surprised how he is in class.  I thought that he was kind of shy and quiet but that has not been the case in class at all.  He gets so excited and into the lessons.   He participates more than most of the other kids.  I thought he'd be scared at least at first but he was he just loves to answer questions and raises his hand.

Jacks struggles with a lot of sounds.  He has a hard time with l,r,w, th,st,fl,v,sh,ch,j,g,u.  I'm really hope that speech  helps him.  We've been working on letter sounds and he just has a really hard time because he can't even say a lot of the sounds.  He says w for r and l and has a lot of other substitutions.

I really hope speech helps him!  His speech has started to affect Link's speech.  Link loves him so much and wants to be just like him.  He has started saying things like Jacks does and it's kind of frustrating because Link has no problem speaking but he's been mimicking Jackson's speech issues.  Jacks really can't say the word regular and Link says it just like him.  He also says mines instead of mine and Link has started saying that.  It's weird how much they influence each others speech.  Link influences Jacks as well.  Link doesn't really know the difference in he/him/his, she/her/hers.  He just calls everyone he/him/his.  Jacks never struggled with that but since Link has struggled with it Jacks has started doing it too.  I just really hope that speech helps Jacks over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment